Dealing with ASIC
Understanding ASIC?s powers in relation to formal and informal investigations.
Stream this recording multiple times at your convenience.
- $220.00 incl. GST
- PD hours: 1.5
This webinar introduces you to the regulator Australian Securities and Investments Commission, and outlines companies’ obligations under the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 (Cth) (ASIC). As well as under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), with a focus on ASICs investigative powers. There is both a practical and theoretical approach and this session is designed for those individuals in small to medium size companies, who may find themselves dealing with ASIC under their enforcement policies.
The webinar covers:
- Who is ASIC, its role and the laws they administer
- ASIC’s General Powers
- ASIC’s Enforcement Policies
- Investigative Powers including surveillance and Investigations, examinations of persons, production and inspection of books, ASIC hearings
- Cooperating with ASIC
- Your rights including:
- Protections including legal professional privilege and privilege against self-incriminations
- Remedies and other actions including:
- Criminal Offences
- Civil Actions
- Enforceable Undertakings
Webinar Learning Outcomes:
• The fundamental legal obligations associated with being Officer/Director of a corporation when dealing with ASIC
• To be aware of actions that ASIC may take following an investigation
Accountants, Directors of Pty Ltd companies, Company Secretaries.
Lidia Xynas is an Associate Professor in Law and is the current Dean, for the College of Law & Justice, at Victoria University.
Lidia is an academic with many years’ experience as a manager, senior lecturer and active researcher. She is a well-established researcher and author, with her research focus covering the areas of taxation law, corporate and commercial law, and sentencing law. Lidia has also published in the area of Teaching and Learning and has extensive experience is designing and implementing online and face to face programs in Law. Lidia is a demonstrated excellent teacher of law and the recipient of a teaching excellence award from the Australasian Law Teachers Association.
Lidia is Fellow of the Governance Institute of Australia and a voting member of both the Tax Institute of Australia and the Law Institute of Victoria and is an Australian Lawyer, admitted in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
You will be provided with:
• PowerPoint presentation slide deck
• Supporting documentation
• Webinar Recording to view multiple times for up to 6 months
• An opportunity to ask questions to the presenter
Further Research in CCH iKnow
|Succession Planning - Exit Strategies (5 of 6)||Webinar Recording|
|From Compliance to Reliance||Webinar Recording|
|Family Business - How to 'keep it in the family'?||Webinar Recording|
|Why “The Cloud” is not THE Answer!||Webinar Recording|