GDPR for Australia Businesses
The European privacy law: What does it mean for Australian businesses?
Stream this recording multiple times at your convenience.
- $180.00 incl. GST
- PD hours: 1
The GDPR regime came into force on 25 May 2018 in all member states across the EU, bringing along a new regime of data protection laws - and large penalties - that will replace all existing privacy law in the EU. However, the new data protection laws will not just have an impact in the EU. Due to the wide scope of the regulation, many Australian businesses may also fall under the new rules if they have an establishment in the EU, offer goods and services in the EU, or monitor individuals in the EU.
This Webinar will act as an introduction to the GDPR and will aim to give Australian businesses an overview of the new regulation and a practical guide to its potential impact.
The Webinar will primarily focus on the following:
- scope of the GDPR and reach to Australian businesses;
- key differences between the GDPR and the Australian privacy law;
- potential requirements under the GDPR for Australian businesses, including Data Protection Officers, EU Representatives and Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs); and
- penalties for non-compliance with the GDPR.
- an insight into the potential impacts of the GDPR on Australian businesses;
- an overview of steps for Australian businesses to follow to ensure compliance with the EU regulations; and
- knowledge of potential risks that may arise from the new regulations.
This session is pitched at an introductory level and is suitable for all firms and businesses.
Geoff Bloom is a Partner specialising in privacy and freedom of information law, at HWL Ebsworth Lawyers Sydney. He mainly practises in regulatory and commercial law for the health, aged care and life sciences industries which includes public and private hospitals and health care providers, government agencies, universities, medical research organisations, therapeutic goods manufacturers and distributors, and biotechnology companies. Geoff has been named in Best Lawyers® in the areas of Health & Aged Care Law, as well as in Life Sciences Practice and Privacy and Data Security Law.
Eli Fisher is a Senior Associate at HWL Ebsworth Lawyers in Sydney, practising within the Intellectual Property, Privacy, Media and TMT spheres. Eli edits the Communications Law Bulletin and sits on the Boards of the Copyright Society of Australia and the Communications and Media Law Association. Eli recently completed a masters degree at the University of New South Wales dual-specialising in Media and Technology Law, and Innovation Law.
You will be provided with:
• PowerPoint presentation slide deck
• Supporting documentation
• Webinar Recording to view multiple times for up to 6 months
• An opportunity to ask questions during Q&A
|IP Audit - Wielding Sword & Shield for your Clients||Webinar Recording|
|Dealing with ASIC||Webinar Recording|
|Family Exit - Preparing a family owned business for sale||Webinar Recording|
|Be Your Industry Influencer (1 of 2)||Webinar Recording|