Australian Tax for New Zealand clients
A guide to how Australian taxes impact New Zealand clients.
Jun 12Wed 1:00 PM AEST - Wed 2:00 PM AEST Online
- $180.00 incl. GST
- PD hours: 1
Each year, thousands of New Zealanders move back and forth between their country of origin and Australia. No two tax systems are quite so intertwined as Australia and New Zealand so if you have New Zealand clients on your client list, whether here permanently or temporarily, or who maybe have returned to New Zealand but retained economic interests in Australia, the chances are they will have some Australian tax issues.
The purpose of this webinar is to give an overview of how the Australian tax system applies to New Zealanders and then to focus on some of the common risk areas your clients may fall into.
The webinar will cover:
• Australian residency rules as they apply to New Zealanders
• How does Australia tax New Zealand income and capital?
• Impact of the Australia/NZ Double Tax Agreement on typical client situations
• How new CGT rules for the taxation of the main residence affect New Zealanders departing Australia
• Taxation of New Zealand working holidaymakers in Australia
• Overview of tax rules on investment properties for New Zealanders
• Taxation of New Zealand employment and business income in Australia
• Australian GST obligations for New Zealanders trading over the internet
• Distributions from Australian deceased estates to New Zealand beneficiaries
• Capital distributions from NZ trusts to Australian resident beneficiaries
• Australian taxation of NZ dividends
Webinar Learning Outcomes:
Attendees can expect to complete the webinar with a detailed understanding of the way Australian taxes impact New Zealanders who are permanent residents in Australia, temporary residents, non-residents, or who have business or investment interests in Australia.
Ideally suited to those accountants and tax agents who deal on a day to day basis with clients who originate from New Zealand.
Since 2015, Mark Chapman has been Director of Tax Communications with H&R Block Australia. He writes regularly on tax issues for numerous media outlets and presents on topical tax topics at seminars and other events. He broadcasts frequently on radio and television and writes a regular column for Money Magazine and Yahoo7 Finance. As a tax practitioner in the UK, he occupied a number of senior positions before moving to Australia in 2007 to join the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as a senior director. Mark is also the author of Life and Taxes: A Look At Life Through Tax published by Wolters Kluwer, CCH Australia.
Mark has over 25 year’s experience as a tax professional in both the UK and Australia, specialising in tax for small business and individuals. He is a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, a fellow of CPA Australia and a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation. He holds a Masters of Taxation Law with the University of New South Wales.
You will be provided with:
• PowerPoint Presentation slide deck
• Any Supporting Documentation
• Webinar Recording to view multiple times for up to 6 months
• An opportunity to ask questions to the presenter
|Going the Extra Mile: Tax and Employee Travel||Webinar Recording|
|Restructures & Rollovers Part 2 - Demerger Relief 30.06.2016||Webinar Recording|
|GST (1 of 2)||Webinar Recording|
|FBT 2019: FBT Return Update Essentials||Webinar Recording|